Derailed. My list is dust in the wind. That’s life though, right? Best laid plans and all that? Right now I have work to do and a hunger to quell.
Pish- no worries. In 20 minutes you too can prepare a tasty and nutritious meal for your family. This also allows you to play whatever music you want during dinner (see Annette Bening).
- Brussels sprouts
- Garlic cloves
- Fresh oregano
- Lime juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
Gently pulse everything (except the lime juice) in your food processor.
- Prepare quinoa according to package directions.
- Heat 2 T olive oil in a dutch oven oven or pan
- Add sprouts mixture
- Add lime juice
- Gently saute for 2 minutes
- Fold in quinoa
- Gently saute for 3 minutes
- Remove from heat
- Slice cherry tomatoes
- All done!!!
I went to Trader Joe’s last Monay and spent 16 bucks on dinner groceries for the entire week. This is pretty awesome anywhere- but to manage this at a Manhattan grocery store is worthy of some kind of award I’m sure.
I have mixed feelings about this particular Trader Joe’s. It’s the former location of the first Barnes & Noble where I ever worked. It’s odd to look for soy chorizo in what used to be the Interior Design section- but I live for TJ’s soy chorizo and seaweed treats so screw sentiment.
In the produce section I scored Brussels sprouts that had been halved and seasoned. Normally, I wouldn’t even bother looking- that kind of thing is unthinkable. Precut veggies are usually twice the price- strictly for suckers. These were priced the same as the pint- cuts down on time without spending extra loot.
Color me stoked.
And- lo what’s this? Crisp yellow string beans on sale as well? I say, I will take some!!!
The lines at this Trader Joe’s always seem to have about 100 people waiting, but there is barely a wait because the line management borders on brilliant. While waiting I spied Rice Bran Oil on a new item display. It has a smoke point of 430°. Perfecto for stir frying.
This recipe is so easy and delicious you will want to slap somebody, but don’t because we’re about the non-violence ‘member?
- Brussels sprouts (one pint) seasoned with fresh garlic and fresh black pepper
- One small onion roughly chopped
- Yellow green beans (one pound) trimmed
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons Rice Bran oil (or some other oil that has a high smoke point like grapeseed)
- pinch sea salt or flaked salt
- heaping tablesppoon red pepper flakes
- Prepare a marinade with the lemon juice spices and one tablespoon of the oil.
- Let veggies veg for 20 minutes or so.
- Heat a large pan or wok with the remaining oil
- Spoon veggies into pan when the oil is hot.
- After two minutes add the rest of the marinade
- Sauté for an additional 8 minutes
- Add a tablespoon of water or additional splash of wine if necessary.
Serve over quinoa.
This is yoga, sprouted and sprung.