Meatless Monday was on hiatus primarily because I was over thinking it. Stymied and frustrated I wallowed in self-pity because I wasn’t creating recipes that I deemed ‘blog-worthy’. Then I called bullsh*t on myself.
The thing I loved about Meatless Monday was that it was supposed to be easy and fun, Part of living a mindful life in being in the moment and accepting what is. I stopped doing this when it came to posts. This week I decided throw myself into the fire and whip up whatever I had handy.
This was inspired by a book I love, Culinary Artistry its a cooking concept book that talks about flavors and the science behind what foods and spices marry well. I’m not a cook who loves to follow a recipe to the letter, so this appealed to me. The result is what is this week’s Meatless Monday recipe.
The farmers market had asparagus on the cheap. In my fridge I spied a head of cauliflower, capers, lemons and spring greens.
Warm Cauliflower and Asparagus Salad with a lemon caper vinaigrette
- Cauliflower florets
- Juice from one lemon
- Capers (2 ounces with juice)
- 1/4 cup light tasting olive oil
- 1 TSP dijon mustard
- 1/2 shallot minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- handful parsley chopped
- one small onion sliced
- Steam florets and asparagus for two minutes until just tender.
- Quickly sauté veggies with garlic and sliced onions for three minutes with one tablespoon olive oil.
- Plate veggies on spring mix and dress with vinaigrette.
For the Vinaigrette
- Whisk shallots, mustard, lemon juice, capers, remaining olive oil and parsley
It was easy and delish. Next time I might add quinoa or brown rice or mushrooms for some heft, but a really big serving of this left me very satisfied.
Sometimes you have to step away from something to know you really want it.
Happy Meatless Monday!!!