As a society we live for the weekend and TGIF. Looking forward to something takes away from our present.
Enjoy today. Not because it’s Friday, but because it’s right now.
Keep it simple.
I’ve been playing with healthier updates of comfort food classics. There’s nothing like a warm meal when a nip is in the air. The smell of hearty stews and sage laced with sage lifts me on my toes like a cartoon character and spins me around, partner that with something like mashed potatoes and I’m in heaven. Since foods like that aren’t in my life anymore I re-imagined some meals I love with a twist!!
I must confess this is vegan and not vegetarian. I haven’t found a great substitute for egg whites- but if you know of any, please share them in the comments!!!
For the filling
- lentils – 1 cup
- mushrooms – chopped (optional but extra step, for even deeper flavor chop up a few dried mushrooms and soak them)
- balsamic vinegar 1/4 cup
- onions – 1/2 cup sautéed
- garlic – 2 cloves minced
- veggie stock – 2 and 1/4 cups
- sage – 1/2 teaspoon
- thyme – 1/2 teaspoon
- salt and pepper to taste
For the topping
- sweet potatoes – 3 peeled cubed
- egg whites – 4
- cardamom – 1/4 teaspoon
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- Spray sweet potatoes with olive oil spray and bake in a 350° oven until they are tender about 30 minutes
- While the potatoes are baking start the lentils. Heat the stock with the lentils in pot. When the stock boils reduce to a simmer and cook lentils uncovered for 30 minutes.
- In a separate pan heat olive oil over medium heat to sauté onions, garlic and spices. Cook for five minutes before adding the mushrooms balsamic and 1/4 cup of veggie stock.
- Cook for another 20 minutes until the liquid is reduced.
- Add lentils to the mushroom mixture. Mix and turn off heat.
- Spray a lasagna pan with non-stick spray.
- Transfer mixture into pan.
- Whip egg whites until the have stiff peaks.
- In a separate bowl use a mixer (or food processor) to whip sweet potatoes and cardamom.
- Fold egg whites into sweet potatoes.
- Evenly spread sweet potato mixture on top of filling.
- Bake in a 375° oven for 35-45 minutes.
- Cool for 15 minutes before serving.
- Fresh out of the oven!!!
Namaste y’all! Have a wonderful weekend.