Tomatoes are versatile delicious. Why not make them them the star of your Meatless Monday dish? Roasted tomatoes with pasta is simple, elegant and scrumptious. Since you are only using a few ingredients- don’t skimp and go for quality especially when it comes to the tomatoes and pasta.
- 3 lbs tomatoes halved
- One bunch of basil
- Olive oil
- 4-5 garlic cloves with the peel on
- Freshly shredded cheese (optional)
- Quality flaked sea and and fresh black pepper
- Fresh thyme
- Whole wheat pasta- I used fresh whole wheat. But there are many great quality dry pastas that aren’t too expensive
- Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat the oven to 375 degrees . Stem the tomatoes and slice them in half lengthwise.
- Lay the tomatoes, cut side up, in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle with the thyme and garlic. Separate one bulb of garlic and place 4 cloves still with peel on parchment, soak peel with olive oil. Roast for 40 minutes. Increase the oven temperature to 400 degrees and roast the tomatoes until caramelized, about 20 minutes more.
- Turn off the oven and leave the tomatoes inside for 10 minutes, then remove to a rack and let cool completely.
- Remove garlic from oven and peel
- Prepare pasta according to package directions.
- While pasta is cooking chop a handful of fresh basil (thyme would also work nicely)
- Squeeze juice from one whole lemon mix and with peeled garlic using a fork. Set aside
- When pasta is done drain and toss pasta, tomatoes (include and juicy oil from roasting pan), lemon garlic mash and basil.
- Top with fresh black pepper and shredded parm or piave vecchico or don’t use cheese to keep it vegan.
- Serve with salad and crusty bread!!!