I love eggplant. I once someone who hated eggplant. We broke up. Not because of the eggplant. But it definitely should have been a warning sign.
Eggplant is delicious and versatile! It can be roasted, baked, grilled, sautéed, stuffed and in honor of this Meatless Monday- it can be blended into a delicious soup. I’ve paired the soup with an open-faced sandwich. The soup is substantial enough to have as a meal but dunking things into soup is a fun pastime.
Let’s stop the chit-chat and get down to business.
This soup does require a little more work than many soups which you can throw into a pot and simmer. The layers of flavor will make you glad you took the time to roast the veggies first. I’d never steer you wrong when it comes to soup. My soup game is pretty serious.
- One whole eggplant peeled and cubed
- One pound of tomatoes (of your choice) quartered
- Two red potatoes cubed
- One large onion- roughly chopped
- Four cloves of garlic
- Four cups of stock or water (but stock is yummier- for real)
- One tablespoon flour
- Italian seasoning – 2 heaping tablespoons
- Crushed red pepper (optional)
- Large pinch of salt
- Olive oil
For the sandwich
- Roasted red peppers (I used the kind in a jar)
- Sautéed onions
- Lettuce (your choice I had Boston on hand)
- Lemon garlic aoili
- Bread – baguette (or your favorite sandwich bread)
- Coat veggies with olive oil and spices.
- Roast all veggies in a pre-heated 375° oven.
- Transfer veggies to a large soup pot that has been heated with one tablespoon olive oil.
- Add stock bring to boil add flour, stir and reduce to very low heat
- Cook for another 45 minutes.
- Transfer to blender in small batches and blend until creamy.
- Return to pot and reheat for five minutes.
- Use whatever ingredients move you.
- I’ve had people say that they miss protein on a sandwich- add a bit of feta or mushrooms.
- A dollop of hummus or pesto also adds depth.
Happy Meatless Monday!