I love summer. The sun on my face and heat on my skin make me feel alive. It’s a time of year when ice clinking in tall glasses of water and taking big bites of fresh tomatoes off the vine is an acceptable dinner.
May-August is my time.
September is beautiful but makes me sad because cold weather is rolling in. You can’t see it but it’s there, hovering in the background.
But, I must admit there is something vaguely sexy about the fall. Turtlenecks and flip-flops are standard uniforms. It’s still warm enough to grab a drink outside, but you can rock a hat. The heat of summer still lingers in the air like perfume at the end of the day…
And while I miss summer, soup season makes it bearable. I am nothing if not a lover of soups.
This roasted cauliflower and carrot soup I found in the New York Times is a perfect blend of summer and fall flavors. The lemon keeps it light as the rooted flavors of carrot and cumin keep it grounded. It’s yoga, for your mouth. The miso adds umami. Its a soup that makes you want to lay down on your back and exhale… I took the liberty and added (and subtracted) a few things to suit my palate. Not that the Times doesn’t know their stuff but hey, I like things the way I like them.
All jokes aside, this is a great meal for after a long yoga practice or any kind of workout. The soup is filling without being heavy and the carrot salad has crunch with layers of sweet and savory because of the dressing. I had mine with bread because I’m a girl who likes to sop things up.
Don’t judge. Sometimes a dish is so good you want every drop. And the truth is, it’s much classier than me licking the bowl. I’ll let my dog keep that party trick.
Enjoy. Happy Meatless Monday.
- cauliflower- one head choped
- carrots – one pound chopped
- onion- one large chopped in chunks
- garlic – one head unpeeled
- celery- one stalk – roughly chopped
- 4-5 cups stock or water
- corriander seeds- one tablespoon
- cumin- one tablespoon
- smoked paprika
- salt pepper
- juice from one lemon
- lemon zest
- cilantro (dried) – one tablespoon
- olive oil
- miso- 1 tablespoon
Ingredients for Salad
- tri-color carrots
- balsamic vinegar
- honey- one teaspoon
- dijon mustard- one teaspoon
- soy sauce
- garlic- minced one teaspoon
- Place veggies in a pan and toss with olive oil, salt and pepper. Makes sure to coat the garlic bulb with oil so it doesn’t burn.
- Roast veggies and garlic bulb in 425° oven for 35-45 minutes (check frequently- I like veggies roasted but not mushy)
- Transfer veggies to a large heated soup pot that has 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Add spices and sauté veggies for six minutes
- Add miso and broth
- Bring to a simmer and then lower heat
- Cook for 10 minutes
- Blend until smooth in very small batches
- Serve immediately
For the salad
- I spiralized the carrots and cucumbers.
- To make the dressing put all of the ingredients into a blender (or whisk in a bowl if you are looking for a forearm workout)
- I cut the scallions into the thin slices and and tossed with the dressing.