I feel like the toughest part of a diet that is 80% plant based is creating tasty snacks or appetizers. Let’s face it, there’s only so much crudite a person can eat. I mean how many carrots sticks and cucumber slices can you serve before getting an eye roll (my everlasting love of cucumbers not withstanding).
People operate with the best of intentions, right? That extends to healthy eating. If options were out there, we would snatch them up like a lion chasing its prey.
Well Simba, the search is over. Mama’s got a little something I think you’ll enjoy!
These treats are great for movie night or a slumber party. They’re gluten-free low and fat and really delicious. And at 21 calories each you’re not breaking the calorie bank. The only thing you’ll likely need to buy is cauliflower so on top of all that, it’s economical too!!!
I know the good times are rollin’.
Let’s get down.
Ingredients (makes 12)
- 2 c cauliflower
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 c Tofutti Better Than Ricotta (I actually can’t believe how good this is…)
- 1 T oregano (I went very heavy with the spices, you can adjust but I feel the spices give it that pizza taste)
- 1T red pepper flakes
- 1 T garlic powder
- 1/2 t sea salt
- 1 oz Vegan Parmesan shredded
- 1 T olive oil
- Non-stick spray for muffin tin (or muffin wrappers)
- Pasta sauce or pizza sauce for dipping
- Preheat oven to 425
- In the food processor, chop the cauliflower and garlic until it’s the consistency of rice
- Heat the olive oil in a dutch oven or pot
- Saute the cauliflower and add the spices
- Cook for 4-5 minutes
- Transfer mixture to bowl
- Fold in ricotta
- Chill mixture in frig for 1 hour
- Use muffin wrappers in tin
- Mixture should be packed down into tin so they don’t fall apart
- Cook for 30-40 minutes (check at 25 minutes)
- Cauliflower should be brown and crispy
- Make sure muffin tin cools or appetizers will break apart
- Serve with pizza sauce!
These much more decadent than they should!