I don’t have a gluten allergy, however, there’s no reason not to watch the carb intake. Eating less meat has lured me closer to bread, not a good thing. Over the past few months I’ve played with chickpea flour. Success was spotty. I was trying to use it like flour- that was a big mistake.
That other O, you know the one, who has her own channel and magazine featured chickpea flour in her magazine.
I raced to my pantry elated! Of course I had to play with the recipe.
I came up with a ‘pizza’ that is more of a pancake that is crisped in the oven. Use whatever toppings appeal to you. What’s in my fridge and pantry is what appealed to me. Instead of sauce- I used coriander chutney. Pesto could be easily used, as well as any puree.
I like to think of pizzas as the stews of the oven- you find what you have and mix it together.
- 1 c. chickpea flour
- 1 c. warm water
- 1 tsp olive oil
- dried or fresh oregano, cilantro, black pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- I sautéd onions, mushrooms and fresh garlic in balsamic vinegar and a little olive oil.
- Coriander chutney
- Vegan Feta cheese (or regular- no judgement)
- Grated apple (whatever is local)
Pre-heat oven to 475°.
- Prepare batter- combine all ingredients until well mixed. Stir out any lumps.
- Spray a non-stick pan and pour in batter until it almost covers the bottom
- Cook for 3-5 minutes flipping after bubbles appear
- Transfer pancake to a cookie sheet or pizza stone
- Arrange toppings
- Bake for 5-8 minutes
Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and serve immediately!