Here’s a salad to boast about! On some nights the problem is finding something to make that won’t taste run of the mill but is idiot-proof.
The solution? Roasting and grilling!
Roasting and grilling brings sophistication to veggies. Broccoli for example is boring and waiting for dip or hummus when it’s raw, but after a drizzle of olive oil and some heat it becomes something altogether different (and exciting)!
I looked like a cartoon character with my head in the frig and giggling like a maniac as I pulled out vegetables. Broccoli, brussels sprouts, carrots, corn sailed overhead and landed on the granite counter top like astronauts ejected out of the space shuttle…
A great salad has fresh greens and a light dressing in order to savor the individual flavor of each ingredient. The result was just perfect.
Crusty bread is a nice addition.
There’s a local pizzeria that sells organic baguettes- I’m pretty sure it’s made with rosemary infused oil. The outside is textured and crusty without being too hard. When you break a piece off the inside is fluffy and dense at the same time. Amazing, right?! And when you take a bite, you inhale.
The rosemary wafts in your nose and then….you chew.
I call it magic bread.
Ooops sorry- I digress. But yeah, bread with the salad. Go for it. It’s tasty.
- Brussels sprouts (sliced in half)
- Carrots (cut in 1 in. pieces)
- Fresh corn (cut off of the ear)
- 2 T olive oil (or non-stick spray)
- 1/2 T oregano (dried)
- salt and pepper to taste
For the salad
- Spring greens
- Cucumbers (sliced)
- Red onions (very, very thinly sliced)
- vegan feta or regular feta cheese (optional)
- Olive oil
- Fresh lemon Juice
- Salt and pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 450-475 ( or heat grill, or use a grill pan- see so many many ways to dress this up!)
- In a bowl coat vegetables with olive oil and spices
- Place vegetable on a cookie sheet
- Roast vegetables for 35-45 minutes checking them every ten minutes and turning them after 20 minutes
- Combine vegetables salad ingredients
- Dress the salad with lemon juice and olive oil
- Add salt and pepper and toss