I wish I had a garden. I just know that I have a green thumb. It’s genetic. My mother has a green fist and my Dad is a scientist so c’mon that’s got to mean something. But all this city livin’ has left me without a backyard. That’s okay, I’ll get my garden one day.
As a kid my mom grew a bunch of things but I remember zucchini. Any kid who had a garden with zucchini remembers it, because it grows easily. It can be a little overwhelming trying to figure out what to do with the glut of squash you may have on your hands. Let’s face facts there’s only so many ways you can sauté it. So try this stuffing. It’s perfect for Meatless Monday! And the stuffing freezes nicely.
Check out Patrick’s video on zucchini! He has a beautiful garden- and he shoots the whole video with one hand.
- 2 zucchinis halved lengthwise scooped out (save pulp for filling)
- 1 pint mushroom package
- 1 cup of fresh spinach
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 small onion
- roasted red peppers 1/2 jar (I used Cento’s tri-color)
- 1/2 cup plum tomatoes (I used Muir)
- 3-4 scallions
- 1 T oregano (dried)
- 1 T basil (dried)
- splash of red wine
- 3 T olive oil
- 1 t salt
- pepper to taste
Pre-heat oven to 325
1. Put the following in a food processor 1/2 of the mushrooms (roughly chop first), 1/2 of the roasted peppers, garlic, onion (roughly chop first), spices, scallions, olive oil and zucchini pulp.
2. Pulse until combined (don’t turn it into mush)
3. Place a pan on medium heat. Add 1 T olive oil.
4. Cook stuffing mixture from food processor in pan.
5. Add remaining mushrooms and roasted peppers. Cook for two minutes.
6. Add sauce. Stir and cook for 5 minutes.
7. Add wine. Cook for 1 minute
8. Add spinach cook until wilted. Remove from heat
9. Gently spoon filling into zucchini ‘boats’
10. Cook for 40 minutes
Serve immediately and enjoy!!!