After class on Friday I picked up some veggies from the fruit market and stopped at the local pizza joint.
They didn’t hand over money, but they did charge me 5 smackers for a enough dough to make an extra large pie. I got another one to store in the freezer.
Why buy dough you’re asking?
Easy- because I don’t want to make it.
Please. Don’t get it twisted- I can make a mean pizza dough. But as I get closer to the end of 108 days of yoga, I’m learning to be efficient with my energy. Also the pizza guys make dough better than I do.
I had grand plans to make the pizza that night. A fat slice with a glass of wine and Netflix was my idea of a sexy evening.
My body had a different story to tell.
But I did manage to make the toppings.
Grand plans moved to Saturday.
My friend and I caught the 7pm hot class at Yoga to the People and headed to my place for pizza and wine!
She looked at me dubiously- no cheese on pizza?
What fresh hell this?
I whipped up some basil oil and put the dough in a deep dish.
Shredded vegan cheese? Blech.
My eggplant/onion/sun dried tomato mixture was going to be so good cheese wouldn’t even be necessary.
Why ruin it with fake cheese- file this under the category of learning to let things go.
It was on the money honey.
When people wander over to the kitchen to sneak more of something I’ve cooked, I know it’s a hit.
Going the deep dish rustic route was also a good move- sometimes delicious food is best when it has a homey feel.
Good food, conversation and wine. It doesn’t take a lot to live a great life.
This is yoga. Keep it simple.
Eggplant filling for deep dish vegan pizza
- 1 eggplant- cubed
- 5 cloves of garlic minced (I know it sounds like a lot- do 8)
- 1 medium onion sliced in rings
- Sun dried tomatoes 1/2 cup chopped
- 1/2 cup roasted red pepper soup (or pasta sauce)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 1 handful oregano roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 1 large pinch sea salt
- Sauté onions and garlic
- Add eggplant tomatoes- stir for 5 minutes
- Add soup or sauce and spices
- Turn heat to low and cover for 20 minutes checking every 5 to stir
- Place filling in a bowl
- Sauté 3 cups spinach with olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper
- Work dough in a cast iron skillet or big pan
- Distribute eggplant filling evenly
- Layer spinach on top
- Pour basil oil on top
- Add any additional toppings
Cook pizza in a 450° oven for 17 minutes