I was going to whip up a healthier version of Pasta Primavera for Meatless Monday post. It’s really warm here on the East Coast and a creamy but vegan dish didn’t fit the weather. Plus I was beat and wanted something easy peezy.
With so many quality dried pastas available, it’s easy to spend less and get something yummy.
Pasta though, should be eaten in moderation. Paired with veggies it’s a perfect easy Monday dinner. The linguine should play second fiddle to the veggies which are the main attraction.
I used what I had in my fridge. I would encourage you to do the same. The recipe also calls for a splash of white white. Don’t have any? Meh, not a biggie. Use some stock. So let’s get to it!
- 2 c kale rinsed
- 1 c spinach
- 1/2 onion roughly chopped
- 1 c mushrooms chopped
- 1 carrot shaved
- 1 T olive oil
- 1/4 c white wine (or reserve 1/4 of pasta liquid)
- 1 garlic clove minced
- fresh basil chopped
- juice from 1 lemon
- 1/4 parmesan cheese shredded (vegan or regular)
1. Prepare the spinach linguine according to package directions. I cut the serving size down a bit I could really show off the veggies, again that’s up to you.
2. Blanch the kale and place in an ice bath (or if you’re not up to it- toss in the microwave in a bowl of water for 30 seconds)
3. In a skillet heat the olive oil and saute all of the vegetables
4. After 5 minutes add the linguine and pasta liquid or wine
5. Add the basil, salt and pepper
6. Add most of the parmesan (reserve some for garnish)
7. Stir quickly but gently for two minutes or until everything is combined
You can really play with different kinds of vegetables. I can’t wait to make this with sugar snap peas, corn and carrots in the summer. I’ll use basil and mint! Yum!!!
This is yoga, on the tasty and cheap.