I search the world looking for the best veggie burger recipes. That’s hyperbole, but I think my point is clear. Veggie burgers matter to me. And I’ve made a few great ones. Guess what? This one may be my favorite one yet. There were lots of recipes out there for chickpea burgers but they all looked a little dry. I didn’t want to add a lot of fat by using olive oil…what’s a girl to do?
Enter roasted eggplant and mushrooms. Eggplant and mushrooms give veggie burgers moisture and a meaty texture. Roasting the veggies gives the burger added depth.
Oooh wee!!! Made all the difference in the world.
May I present the best veggie burger ever.
Ingredients (Makes 4 juicy burgers)
- chickpeas – one can
- mushrooms – one pint
- eggplant – 1/2 or one small eggplant cut in cubes
- one small red onion
- peas (optional) – one handful
- cilantro – one small bunch chopped
- garlic – 2-3 cloves minced
- egg white substitute 3 tablespooms
- panko breadcrumbs – 2 tablespoons
- cumin – one teaspoon
- generous pinch salt
- black pepper
- lemon juice from one lemon
- plain yogurt (soy yogurt for the vegans- word)
- cucumber – 1/2 chopped
- salt – one pinch
- black pepper
- garlic – minced (optional)
- Combine all ingredients
- Set aside until burgers are done
- Lightly toss the eggplant and mushrooms with olive oil, salt and pepper. Spread out on a cookie sheet
- Roast veggies at 425° for 20-25 minutes (Don’t take a shortcut and add the veggies to the mix without roasting. Roasting brings out the flavor.)
- In a food processor combine the roasted veggies, 3/4 of the chickpeas (reserve 1/4 to the side) only use 1/4 of the liquid from the chickpeas. Keep some of the liquid in case the mixture is slightly dry. Add the lemon juice, spices, onion, garlic and cilantro.
- Pulse mixture until is is combined but not a paste. Transfer mixture to a bowl.
- Fold in bread crumbs, remaining chick peas and peas. 1/4 cup shredded carrot would work as well. I think a veggie burger should be brightly colored.
- Heat two tablespoons of olive oil in a pan.
- Cook burgers over medium heat. Cover pan to seal in moisture.
- Gently flip burgers after 6 minutes. Cook for another 6-7 minutes
- Top the burgers with your favorites (tomatoes, spinach, and yogurt sauce)
Serve with salad or sweet potatoes fries if you are really hungry!!!